Saturday, February 12, 2011

What A Week

Sorry I have no pictures to share today but I will on Sunday evening.
It has been quite a week.
My daughter had her wisdom teeth out (all 4) and she was in such pain for a few days. One of her cheeks is black n blue. Poor thing!!
I did get some water in the shop on the floor but nothing terrible. It only got my Claire Murray rug a little wet. And a few other things going on that we don't need to talk about. Ugh!!!. But such is life and things make us stronger. I love what Mother Teressa Said
"I know God won't give me anything I can't handle. I just wish he didn't trust me so much."
Mother Teresa
Well I am to the shop for the day with my head in a million directions. One of my thoughts is about needlepoint. I am contemplating painting some of my own canvases. They would have to be one of a kinds because I couldn't think of painting the same design over and over again. And then I only want to carry one line of fibers for them because I am just starting and I don't have tons of room, so which line to choose? Any suggestions would be appreciated. I would carry 18ct and 13ct so the fibers would have to be divisible so I could use them on both canvases.
Thank you for reading my ramblings and I will share more photos tomorrow.
Have a good day
donna

8 comments:

  1. Sorry you've had a crazy week. I sympathize with your daughter. I had all 4 of my wisdom teeth out at once as a teenager so I feel her pain, poor thing. And water in your store? Eek! Bummer! I'm afraid I don't know much about needlepoint so I can't offer advice on that subject. I'm looking forward to seeing what you do though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad that you didn't have any major damage at the shop.
    As for the needlepoint, I'm afraid I can't help you out. I've yet to try needlepoint and don't know the first thing about it.
    Hope your daughter heals quickly!

    ReplyDelete
  3. There are a ton of threads available that work on needlepoint canvases (particularly the 13 and 18 counts). I would suggest you start with Rainbow Gallery's Splendor Silk, Caron's Watercolours (a three ply cotton overdye), and try one of the silk/wool blends such as Vineyard Silks which works on both 13 and 18 count.

    You probably have Kreinik metallics, DMC floss and perles already in stock. Later on you can branch out into overdyes such as silks like Gloriana's (they also have wonderful perles and a plyable wool) or overdyed cottons like ThreadworX's line, and specialty threads like Silk Lame Braid, or Flair or many many more.

    But to start, stick with the basics such as those above. For inspiration and ideas about how these threads look, check the manufacturers' websites. Needle in a Haystack also has color photos of many colors that help understand what a thread is like.
    http://www.needlestack.com/WebStore/thread.html

    Good luck with the threads. I hope next week is much better.
    Jane, waving from Chilly Hollow

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad your daughter is doing better and your store damage wasn't any worse. I can't advise on your canvas work, but know whatever you decide will be the right choice!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hope you daughter feels better soon! Sounds like you have been going through a lot at once. I'm glad the shop didn't get more water than it did.

    I do needlepoint occasionally - because the canvases are expensive - but I do love it! Just my thought, but if you're going to carry 18 and 13 mesh canvases I would go for Paternayan Persian Wool. It comes in 3 divisible strands and would suit both counts of mesh. And, you can also use six strand embroidery floss for the 18 count.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Donna, I know nothing about needlepoint other than I've thought of trying it... but haven't... lol so I'm no help but I know whatever you design will be awesome (maybe that's what will make me start!) I know how your girl feels, I did the same... only I got an infection YUCK! it will get better. I like that quote from Mother Teresa, I've felt that way myself! Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. My son had all 4 of his wisdome teeth out Thursday morning! He is still wearing the ice pack sling around his face but he can eat a little now....He might be 19 and in college, but he's still my baby!!hahaha...Take care, Faye

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your poor girl....I hope she feels better real soon...My advice re the neeldwpoint...ummm, I can't, I do not know a thing about it, except I like to see what others are doing!

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
Hi everyone, my name is Donna. I just love stitching of all sorts, I also love antique, and book stores. I am married and I have 2 children, and 3 grandchildren :). My Christian faith is the foundation of my life, and has sustained me through the ups and downs of this journey. Keep spreading kindness so you can change the world. So glad you stopped by, leave me a message and I will stop by and visit you.

Blog Archive