Friday, December 19, 2014

Wool Popcorn Garland Tutorial


Good day everyone, We have finally finished decorating the tree :) and now more cleaning!
I baked a huge bunch of cookies the other day and boy did the house smell good, wish I could have shared it with you, I could even smell the cookies on me when I went to the grocery store.

I wanted to share this tutorial with you that I have been sharing with the Wool/Feather Tree classes. 
A lady at one of the first classes that I taught shared this with us and I am passing it on.

I took my cream colored felted(Washed) wool, sprayed it with my left over morning coffee (in a spray bottle)and let it dry. I wanted it to look like real popcorn with a bit of tan for the seeds. Then I cut it into a long strip 6 inches wide by whatever length you have, took my rotary cutter and cut it into 1/2 inch(or a little smaller)wide strips.
I then took my red wool and rotary cut the strips into 1/4 inch wide strips. Take the strips and cut into 2 inch long pieces.
Using a ball of perle cotton and threading it onto a very long doll needle I then started using a gather or running stitch down the long center of a coffee dyed strip of wool.

 Then take a red strip of wool and roll it up like a jelly roll and insert your needle through the side center. (See Photo).

 Keep adding the wool by alternating the cream wool along with the red.
 For some of the the cream pieces I cut them in half to make it look more like a real strip of popcorn(varying the sizes). * I kept pushing the wool down the ball of perle cotton because I was not sure how long I wanted to make the garland, so by keeping it on the ball this let me keep going in my garland length.

This is a great size for the 12 inch Wool/Feather Trees, and if you want to make them for a larger tree just make the width of the strips larger.
Hope you enjoy and have time to make some garland.


Directions can be purchased here for the trees

6 comments:

  1. What a great project...thank you for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness! Love this idea. This will make a great crafty gift.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A fun idea.....I will have to remember it for next year, as I have no crafting time left for myself before Christmas. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much! This is perfect for my feather tree!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you - also looks great on my feather tree

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous11:39 AM

    Love the garland!!!

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
Hi everyone, my name is Donna. I just love stitching of all sorts, I also love antique, and book stores. I am married and I have 2 children, and 3 grandchildren :). My Christian faith is the foundation of my life, and has sustained me through the ups and downs of this journey. Keep spreading kindness so you can change the world. So glad you stopped by, leave me a message and I will stop by and visit you.

Blog Archive