Friday, February 08, 2013

Free Tutorial For Wool Roses




Happy Blizzard to everyone. :(
I have the directions to share with you for the wool roses that I made the other day
Here We Go
 Cut or rip your wool strips into 1 inch wide by however long you would like. The small ones in the wool tree that I made were 10 inches long. These are a bit longer at 14 inches.. After you have the strips, fold them in half and take your scissors and make a free hand scallop edge on one side only. See photo above. 
Thread your needle with a knot at one end. Starting at one end of the wool strip and make sure it is the straight edge make a running stitch all the way to the other end. My running stitches are about a 1/4 inch wide. Then pull your thread (not to tight) because you just want a ruffle and not a very tight ball of wool :). Secure the thread at the end so your ruffle does not come apart and get lose.  
 Start to roll your wool strip from one end. Hold it together and start to secure your rose bud with your threaded needle and a knot on the underside (The straight edge). 
 Close-up
 Keep rolling about 2-3 inches at a time and keep securing it underneath with your threaded needle. 

 When finished just secure the thread underneath with a knot and set aside
 For leaves I usually cut a long strip of wool 1 inch wide by however long I can and then I cut it into 1 inch squares. I cut around 2 opposite sides to form leaves. See sample above 
 Just waiting for the glue gun :)
An presto, all done. I like to glue these onto clothespins and place on curtains, my jacket, or anywhere for decorating. If you use the tiny clothes pins these would look great in a tree. How about different colored wool, maybe a plaid. The leaves could be a plaid also or an over-dyed wool.
 Well I hope you have fun with these, they work up easy and no two are ever the same just like real flowers :)
Oh and I wanted to mention that last weekend I was at Camp Wool for her new shop open house and she has a new web also. Here is the link. I have posted a picture of my giveaway that I had and yes I crocheted the basket :)
The other picture is of my little display. It was so nice to be there and so many people, it was fun, check out her shop, lots of warm wool, inspiration and antiques. Give her a visit if you are near! 


Here is a link to my directions for the Wool/Feather Tree .....these have been available since 2012
This is a PDF pattern with directions to make wool feather trees. Directions are given for a 8in, 12in, 18in, 24in, and a 36in trees. There are approx 25 color photos and clear directions for you to follow.
The tree in the above photo is the 36 inch tree I made...It is a spring time green and I have added so many of the clip-on wool flowers in pink....



6 comments:

  1. very pretty wool roses! No blizzard here, just grey skies....again. Have a good weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very sweet. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How pretty! Thanks for showing us how to make them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Donna! The felt roses are so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for a pretty rose pattern. I can't wait to try them!

    ReplyDelete
  6. great tutorial - Thankyou for sharing, I think I need to make a few of those little roses

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
Hi everyone, my name is Donna. I just love stitching of all sorts, I also love antique, and book stores. I am married and I have 2 children, and 3 grandchildren :). My Christian faith is the foundation of my life, and has sustained me through the ups and downs of this journey. Keep spreading kindness so you can change the world. So glad you stopped by, leave me a message and I will stop by and visit you.

Blog Archive